Tony Hearne began working with ESB in 1978. He worked as an electrician in a variety of disciplines, in the field. In 1996 having acquired an internal scholarship, he received a degree in Electrical Engineering from University College Dublin. He has worked as an engineer and technical expert in the areas of Network Operations and Protection.
In 2006 he was appointed Manager, Renewable Planning, where he managed the issue of connection offers for some 3000MW of generation connection, most of which were wind.
More recently, he has taken up a more strategic management role within ESB Networks as Future Networks Manager. This includes such aspects as TSO-DSO relationships and the challenges / opportunities associated with planning and operating a distribution network in a world where flexibility is a tradable commodity.
- Member Eurelectric Working Group: Active Distribution System Management
- Member European DSOs Committee on Flexibility Markets
- Member Eurelectric Task Force for Engagement with ENSTO-E on NC Requirements for Generators
- Member CENELEC TC8x
- CIGRE C6 Study Committee National Expert
- DSO representative Distribution Code Review Panel