Miguel Moreira da Silva is an expert on Energy and Mobility Systems, and was selected, in 2013, one of the 100 "Future Energy Leaders" by the World Energy Council. He holds a Doctor degree (PhD) in Sustainable Energy Systems from the MIT Portugal (joint program offered by Universidade do Porto, Universidade de Lisboa and MIT). Miguel is a chartered Electrical and Computer Engineer (Power Systems field), from the Universidade do Porto (FEUP).
He’s been working in the energy industry for +10 years.
• Electricity and Natural Gas transmission system operation and investment at REN (5yrs):
- February 2017 - …: head of Data and Analytics, for the Electricity and Gas Businesses;
- January 2014 – Jan 2017: head of Asset Management department, focused on the electricity grid;
- January 2014 – December 2017: head of Energy Storage consulting project to China Electric Power Research Institute;
- May 2012 – December 2013: head of R&D, being accountable for Corporate Innovation and starting up a technology joint venture with State Grid Corporation of China (R&D Nester).
• Energy & Environment Advisory at the Portuguese Government (1yr).
• ICT and energy management at Itron and Iskra (4yrs).
• Power Generation planning at EDF-EN and INESC-TEC (2yrs)
Besides the industry roles, Miguel has been serving as Visiting Professor at IST – Universidade de Lisboa, on Power Systems Engineering.
Miguel Moreira da Silva has already published and presented several works at national and international conferences, having earned the next awards: “Best Presentation” – International Transmission O&M Study (VA, US); “Outstanding Presentation” - IEEE Green Energy and Systems Conference (CA, US); “Author of the Best Poster Award” - 2nd Transatlantic Conference on Renewable Energies; and “Best National Traineeship – Electrical Engineering Society” from the Portuguese Chartered Association of Engineers.