“An important message to the stakeholders on what is required to be world class.”
“For Bokpoort winning the African Community Project of the Year award not only recognises our dedication towards dealing with socio-economic issues in the areas we invest in, but also encourages us to do more. The Bokpoort Project has spent over ZAR1.6-billion in local content through the project alone. This, with the focus on high local employment, has transformed the economy of the area.”
- Nandu D Bhula, CEO Acwa Power SolAfrica Bokpoort CSP Power Plant, southeast of Upington, South Africa and winners of the African Utility Week Industry Award for African Community Project of the Year in 2015
This year’s African Utility Week Industry Awards will once again honour pioneering utilities, projects and people in the energy and water industry on the continent. The third edition of the awards takes place on Wednesday, 18 May, during the annual African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa at the CTICC in Cape Town. Categories vary from Power Utility of the Year Award, Clean Energy Project of the Year to the Future Leader Award and Power or Water Woman of the Year.
These prestigious industry awards will be presented during a gala dinner welcoming 700 of Africa’s most distinguished power and water industry professionals to recognise those that represent a benchmark of excellence for the industry. Entries for nominations for the awards close on 11 March and the public is invited to nominate themselves or colleagues and projects that have made outstanding contributions to the sector.
Last year’s winners included City Power’s Sicelo Xulu, who was named Utility Executive of the Year, eThekwini won Municipality of the Year while retailing giant Ackermans won the award for the Clean Energy Project of the Year. The prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award went to Dr Lawrence Musaba, Coordination Centre Manager, Southern African Power Pool in Zimbabwe.
Awards focus on achievements
Lucy Electric South Africa, experts in secondary distribution solutions, are platinum sponsors for African Utility Week and are also returning award sponsors. Rick St John, Regional Director for Lucy Electric says “I am looking forward to personally presenting the Power Utility of the Year Award during the evening”.
Another returning sponsor for the awards is silver sponsor Kamstrup. “The African Utility Week Industry Awards focus on achievements,” says Petrus Van Heerden, Country Manager of Kamstrup in South Africa, “and how utilities are part of the solutions to the challenges the communities in Africa are facing.”
He adds: “we have sponsored the event for several years, and find that we get optimum exposure and improved awareness to our brand. Of course, Kamstrup is proud to be associated with a best in class award, but just as important is that we send an important message to the stakeholders on what is required to be world class.”
Other leading names in the utility industry that are also awards sponsors are Powertech (lead sponsor) and Accenture.
The esteemed panel of judges that will decide on the winners includes:
- - Charles A. Hemba, Monitoring and Evaluation Expert, Niger Delta Support Programme, Water and Sanitation Component, Nigeria
- - Wim Jonker-Klunne, Programme Director, Energy & Environment Partnership (EEP) Programme, South Africa
- - Carl Kachale, Director, Trade Finance in Sub-Sahara Africa, CITI, Malawi
- - Ronoh Kibet, Geothermal Project Engineer, KenGen, Kenya
- - Lungile Mashele, Energy Specialist, Development Bank of Southern Africa, South Africa
- - Nathan T. Moore, Advisor, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ), Tanzania
- - Joseph Ndegeya, Business Development Manager, National Water and Sewerage Corporation, Uganda
- - Paul T. Yillia, Program Manager (Water-Energy Nexus), UN Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All), Austria
- - Nicolette Pombo-van Zyl, Editor, ESI Africa, South Africa
African Utility Week Industry Award 2016 categories:
- - Lifetime Achievement Award
- - Power Utility Executive of the Year
- - Water Utility Executive of the Year
- - Power Utility of the Year
- - Water Utility of the Year
- - Clean Energy Project of the Year
- - Pioneer in Project Finance – NEW CATEGORY
- - Community Development Project of the Year
- - Future Leader Award – NEW CATEGORY
- - Energy/Water Efficiency Project of the Year
- - Power/Water Woman of the Year
More information about the awards and how to nominate a person or project is available here: http://www.african-utility-week.com/awards
The 16thAfrican Utility Week and Clean Power Africa conference and trade exhibition returns to Cape Town from 17-19 May 2016 – gathering some 6000 engineers, stakeholders and solution providers from around the globe.
The event will feature 250 exhibitors, 250 speakers, a six stream strategic conference, a free-to-attend technical conference on the expo floor, three high-profile keynote sessions, technical site visits and the coveted industry awards gala dinner.
The trade exhibition will be free when registering in advance and showcase water and energy saving technologies and services for the industry and feature hands-on demonstrations and CPD-accredited technical workshops on the exhibition floor.
African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa are organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd, based in the UK. The event forms part of a global energy event series, including European Utility Week, Australian Utility Week, Asian Utility Week and Latin American Utility Week. Other African flagship events in Spintelligent’s power portfolio are East African Power Industry Convention (EAPIC), West African Power Industry Convention (WAPIC), iPAD Rwanda Power & Mining Investment Forum and iPAD Cameroon Energy & Infrastructure Forum.
Dates for African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa 2016:
Conference and expo: 17-19 May 2016
Awards gala dinner: 18 May 2016
Site visits: 20 May 2016
Location: CTICC, Cape Town, South Africa
Linkedin: African Power Forum
Communications manager: Annemarie Roodbol
Telephone: +27 21 700 3558
Mobile: +27 82 562 7844