Långmarken wind farm brings Sweden closer to its renewable goals

Sweden’s first energy project to be funded under the European Fund for Strategic Investments has officially opened.
Published: Mon 26 Jun 2017

Brought to you by:


The Långmarken wind farm in Kristinehamn, which is at the heart of the Juncker Commission’s Investment Plan for Europe, is made up of eight 3.3MW wind turbines, providing a total capacity of 26.4MW.

The wind farm development, backed by the European Investment Bank (EIB) and renewable energy firm Mirova, and promoted by developer Eolus Vind, was officially inaugurated at a public event.

The EIB and Mirova have acquired six of the turbines – they own 90% of the shares while Eolus will own the remaining 10%. The two remaining turbines have been respectively acquired by the City of Malmö and the local Kalmar County Council.

Realising the energy transition at a European level

Romualdo Massa Bernucci, Director for EIB lending in the Nordic countries, said in a statement: “We were very happy to support this initiative because climate action is high on the agenda not only for the European Investment Bank itself but also within the Investment Plan for Europe of the Juncker Commission.

He added: “Sweden is very serious about renewable energy so it was only right that the first Juncker-project here was a wind farm!”

Raphael Lance, Head of Renewable Energy Funds at Mirova, commented: “Långmarken is a perfect example of how the energy transition needs to be realised at a European level. It can only succeed if the various parties involved are united in a common aim to support high quality projects and if the political conditions are favourable.”

“We are very pleased to be a part of helping both Mirova and EIB to make a long-term investment in the Swedish wind market. It shows an important commitment to renewables and a sustainable development,” says Eolus CEO Per Witalisson.

Sweden’s wind power plans slowing

The launch of the Långmarken wind farm comes after reports that Sweden’s wind power plans have stagnated.

The total power of new turbines built in 2016 amounted to 605MW, a huge drop when compared to outputs of between 700 and 900MW in previous years.

But according to Sweden's Energy Authority (Energimyndigheten), the figures are not surprising. The last few years have seen the production of renewable electricity, including wind power, exceed demand. 

"We have been setting records for a few years. We also have a lower electricity price than before, which means that there is more competition between suppliers," Lars Andersson, head of Energimyndigheten's renewable energy department, told a local news portal, The Local, at the beginning of this year.

He also said that the development of technology has made it possible to build taller and bigger wind power plants which produce more energy. As a result, profitability has dropped.

The Swedish parliament has set an annual target of 30TWh of energy to be produced by renewable sources by 2020, with a further 18TWh to be added to this by 2030.

The country’s current wind production has been recorded at 16TWh per year and an additional 1,600 units are expected to be built in order to achieve the country’s goal.

 

Related Webinar